As a personal trainer, I am constantly met with the stereotypical concerns of women regarding muscularity and the overplayed fear of looking manly.
Many women fear that weight training alone (regardless of program type or design) will inevitably turn them into the next She Hulk. This popular misconception is far too common. As such, women will often develop or tweak a program to avoid developing their man muscles. As a result, many women avoid training important muscle groups such as their traps and lateral and rear delts out of fear of looking manly.
The truth is that properly developed traps and deltoids can help offset a strong or tight chest muscles that lead to poor posture and a horrible aesthetic. This in layman’s terms is often referred to as poor muscular symmetry and leads to upper and lower back pain, as well as neck and shoulder strain. This is not to say women must appear manly in order to stay injury-free. They do, however, have to understand that muscle is important in maintaining not only a strong body but a lean one as well. Upper body training simply requires a feminine touch to ensure a sexy yet strong upper body.
Benefits of Developing a Strong Upper Body
- Makes your waist look thinner. Broader shoulders and well-toned lats can help create the illusion of an hourglass figure.
- Less lower back strain and pain is achieved as you begin to build your upper body.
- Neck and shoulder stiffness associated with poor posture (caused through muscle imbalance) can be alleviated through developing stronger rhomboids and lats.
- A strong upper body promotes good posture, creating the image of confidence. It is no secret that women who walk straighter appear healthier and more confident.
Another way to ensure you stay feminine and lean is to follow a diet that will allow you to continue to train with a calorie-burning intensity. ALLMAX Isofemme Protein Smoothie has all the protein your muscles require for recovery after a workout. Isofemme is a non-estrogenic protein supplement designed specifically for women. It includes ingredients such as cinnamon bark that helps stabilize insulin levels after a workout. Moreover, the herb Fenugreek Seed aids in digestion and regulates blood glucose levels. Both these ingredients can help fend off cravings.
This not only makes it easy to stay within your caloric intake range, but becomes a quick and delicious way to increase your protein intake throughout the day.
Traps, Back and Rear Delt Training Program for Women
Assuming you work in an upper body/lower body split, your upper body can be trained in a circuit.
This circuit is cable-based. To keep your rest time to a minimum, make sure you have all the required cable attachments (ropes, bars and handles) within arms’ reach.
Perform all exercises back-to-back, resting only to switch cable attachments. Repeat each circuit 3 times and limit your rest time in between circuits to 1 to 2 minutes.
- High Cable Crossovers – 12-15 reps
- Push-Ups – to failure
- Standing Straight Arm Pulldowns (barbell) – 12-15 reps
- Leaning Cable Lateral Raise – 12-15 reps
- Cable Upright Row – 15-20 reps
- Bent-Over Barbell Row – 15-20 reps
- EZ Bar Bicep Curl – 12-15 reps
- Cable Triceps Kickbacks – 12-15 reps
Being a strong and feminine woman has just been made a bit simpler. Step up the intensity with a circuit, increase your protein with Isofemme, and stand taller and prouder with a strong back and shoulder set.