Flax seed has recently become a nutrition superstar.
Chances are, you have probably seen them on the shelves of the supermarket or have read a plethora of recipes that call for flax seed, but are you aware of the amazing health benefits which they provide?
Interestingly, they are one of the few nutrition superstars that actually live up to their name. Flax seed have an abundance of Omega-3 fatty acids, which have made them a popular addition to many diets of health conscious individuals. On top of this, flax seeds contain high amounts of fiber, folate and vitamin B6.
Health Benefits of Flax Seed
- Bone protection
- Anti-inflammatory properties
- Protection from cancer
- High blood pressure
It is recommended to grind flax seeds, as they are better absorbed in this form. They have a subtle nutty flavor which makes them perfect for adding them to baked goods such as breads, pancakes or chocolate protein biscotti!
In addition they can easily be added to protein shakes, oatmeal or to coat chicken fingers. Whatever you decide to do with them, just make sure you include flax seed in your diet on a daily basis – and try our new protein biscotti recipe below!
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup ground flax seed
- ½ cup Splenda (baking kind)
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 scoops ISOFLEX Chocolate protein powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg white
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp honey
- 2 tbsp semisweet mini-chocolate chips or carob chips
- 2 tbsp crushed pistachios
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, flax seed, Splenda, protein powder, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the large egg, egg white, honey, and vanilla. Add this to the flour mixture.
- Fold in pistachios and mix together until well combined. The dough will be sticky.
- Lightly flour your hands and a work surface. Roll the dough into 2-inch thick rope. Place the rope on a baking sheet. Press the dough rope to a 1-inch thick width.
- Bake for 25-28 minutes or until firm to the touch.
- Remove from oven and let it cool on baking sheet for 2-5 minutes.
- Place rope on a cutting board. Cut rope into 1/2-inch thick slices – 16 pieces in total.
- Place slices on the baking sheet with the cut sides facing up.
- Bake for 8 minutes. Turn the biscottis on the other cut side for another 8 minutes or until dry.
- Let cool on wire rack.
Nutrition Facts per Serving (1 biscotti)
Calories: 56 cal
Total Fat: 2 g (18 cal)
Protein: 2.5 g (10 cal)
CHO: 7 g (28 cal)