Chickpea Chocolate Cake
This sounds crazy, I know, but it makes a really good chocolate cake – It’s almost a cross between a cake and a brownie.
The bonus here is that it’s high in protein (from the eggs and the ISOFLEX), high in fibre (from the chickpeas) and it’s gluten free (as long as your baking powder doesn’t have gluten in it). We’ve even gone a step further and used some honey (a more natural sweetener) to replace part of the traditional sweetener.
We’ve used honey and sugar here, you can use all sugar if you want, it’s up to you.
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 tbsp Cocoa Powder (Unsweetened if available)
- 2 scoops Chocolate ISOFLEX Powder
- 4 oz (1/2 cup) Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1 can Chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 4 Eggs
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup Sugar (or Splenda!)
- 1/4 cup Honey
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease interior of 1 lb loaf pan with butter. Dust surface with cocoa, remove excess.
- Throw beans, eggs and vanilla into a food processor and puree until smooth.
- Add sugar, honey, ISOFLEX, baking powder and salt. Give it few quick pulses to combine.
- Melt chocolate chips by microwaving in a glass (microwave safe) bowl in 30 second intervals, stirring between sessions (or, you can do it over a double boiler).
- Add melted chocolate to your chickpea mixture and blend thoroughly.
- Pour your batter into your loaf pan and cook for approximately 1 hour.
- Let cool for 20 minutes on a wire rack before removing from loaf pan.